Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Jon-A-Fest 2011

There's an old Gospel song that repeats the following line, oh, about 92 times in 7 minutes and 43 seconds: "He's an on time God, oh yes He is"....As I sat in church Sunday, two days away from beginning this year's much anticipated Jon-A-Fest, our pastor Dr. David Anderson started the service out with a question that will serve as the foundation for this year's Jon-A-Fest: If you could be the best you, what kind of you would you be? He followed by laying out 6 signs that your relationship with God is on point.....to which I hung my head and shouted  "get your hand out of my pocket" (side note: at some churches, I have literally had someone's hand in my pocket during offering time but in this case I mean figuratively).  My favorite of these signs: "a fruit bearing life"...I don't bear much fruit, but I do eat an occasional orange, does that count? My scurvy inducing diet aside, this sermon motivated me to be more dedicated than ever not just to Jon-A-Fest, but to realizing my dreams and maximizing the talents and blessings God has bestowed upon me. Unlike Christina "How did you like my Star Spangled Banner remix" Aguilera's I am going to make the most of this opportunity. (PS: I'm sure Rush or Sarah or some other anti-immigration supporter has made the connection--or maybe not!--between "Aguilera" and the inability to sing our national anthem!)

The Jon-A-Fest Premise: Birthdays are a celebration of our entrance into this world and the beauties that God has bestowed upon it.  Too often they are opportunities to engage in narcissistic and hedonistic moments that focus on us—when in fact our special day really is about the relationships we have with God, with our loved ones and ourselves. Jon-A-Fest recognizes the shared nature of our lives and while certainly appreciating the special occasion, challenges us to look beyond the cake and gifts.  This time period offers a chance for reflection, rehabilitation and renewal.  Jon-A-fest is a celebration of life and the human struggle to make the most of it.  Note: Clearly, if you become a disciple of Jon-A-Fest, you will include your own name in the ____-A-Fest part :). 

Today's Action: Reflect-to ponder. Reflect on, to be borrow from Forrest Gump, "where you going, and where you been."

In between 3 classes, including my infamous lecture on religion and the stories about my visits to the 2 types of American churches--quiet and loud and coming home to watch "Places in the Heart" with my family, i took time to ponder that age old question--who am I? Not just the biographical info such a question entails--I know I am Jonathan W England, bastard son of a teenage mother who to this day does not know the identity of his father, adopted son of Charles and Judy, two of the best parents in the world, born in Heaven aka Wahiawa Hawaii on the island of Oahu, proud husband of Adrienne and father to two angels in Ryann and Jamison. But who I am really?  Am I bearing fruit? How are my relationships? Where does my career stand? Am I following the urging of JFK? Am I living a life that is pleasing to God?  Needless to say, before you can begin to work on anything, you must first reflect on the status before you can move forward.
Key areas of reflection include: 
Health
Finances
Service
Goals
Missed Opportunities
Faith (Reaffirm)
Relationships (with self, loved ones, God, community)

Happy 1st day of Jon-A-Fest!

Note: Each day's word/action will start with the prefix "re" meaning backward or again, anew from the Latin (see, 4 years of Latin in High School paid off, finally!).  Re fits nicely with the Jon-A-Fest idea of looking inward to move forward, and there are literally hundreds of relevant words that begin with "re-", but here's a few you won't see: re-nege (i only hear this used in spades...but why when you mess up in spades do you have to use this word??? Me smells a conspiracy), resign (not quitting!), recede (cuz my hairline is), retard (Im not trying to slow anyone down), or repeal (cuz I think the Health Care Legislation is actually a good idea!).  

1 comment:

  1. Really made me think. . ."must first reflect on the status before you can move forward". DEEP!!!

    ReplyDelete